Waterfall Survivors is a social group founded on Facebook now managed by Waterfall Explorers Sdn. Bhd. (a social enterprise, the most popular online social networking service. The Facebook group was single-handedly created on 12th July 2008 by Ms Joe Yap, with an aim to meet others who get the same kick and excitement at the thunderous sound of crashing waters in the tranquil setting of the rainforests like she does. The group has been actively organizing regular waterfall expeditions ever since. To date, Waterfall Survivors has left footprints at over 90 waterfalls in Malaysia with more than 200 trips ventured.
How it started…
It all began with Joe’s maiden expedition to Kanching Waterfalls in Rawang, Selangor, a waterfall she found online while searching for a perfect family outing venue. Her interest and passion for waterfalls and waterfall expeditions ballooned in no time. She continued her search for other waterfalls on Waterfalls of Malaysia, a website which is currently maintained By Jan Stuivenberg, a Dutch expatriate with a passion for waterfalls in Malaysia. Unfortunately, most of her friends didn’t share the same passion, hence the inception of Waterfall Survivors.
Guided by the website's well-documented information on the country's waterfalls, Joe started to organize trips for Waterfall Survivors’ members. To get clearer directions for waterfall expeditions, she began to communicate with Stuivenberg. Sharing the same passion for the country’s waterfalls, they were quick to form a strong friendship. Joe soon took the expat as her mentor while she became a regular contributor of the Waterfalls of Malaysia website.
To learn more about Joe link up here with Joe at LinkedIn
7,000 and still counting…
Waterfall Survivors organizes regular waterfall exploration trips which can be a day-tripper or an over-night excursion. The trips are done in a very friendly and casual fashion – trek, oohh’s and aahh’s (at the waterfalls) and back to civilization. Starting off with only herself as a member on 12th July 2008, Waterfall Survivors’ member count had achieved the 1,000th member mark on 3rd January 2009, barely five months after its inception. As at 19th October 2010, the count showed over 6,000 members.
- To explore other unknown and unexplored waterfalls in Malaysia.
- To create awareness on preserving our nature for the next generation.
- To advocate and advise the public on safety awareness when enjoying waterfalls.
- To bring the Save Our Waterfalls campaigns around Malaysia.
- To promote a healthy lifestyle among Malaysians while appreciating the nature.
- To adopt waterfalls in Malaysia.
- To educate all Malaysians to preserve the cleanliness of waterfalls.
- To be the largest waterfall society in Malaysia.
Save Our Waterfalls campaign is an initiative to protect and clean up waterfalls in Peninsular Malaysia. The campaign is organized by Waterfall Survivors, which is managed by Waterfall Explorers Sdn. Bhd. to raise public awareness about the availability of waterfalls in Malaysia. This serves 2 purposes: to highlight new waterfalls for nature lovers to visit and also emphasize the need for greater civic awareness to keep our waterfalls pristine and litter-free. While an important objective is to educate the public about the need to preserve or clean up existing waterfalls, the campaign is also intended to promote tourism in Malaysia, especially eco-tourism and create new opportunities for the local communities in Malaysia.
The Save Our Waterfalls campaign also provides a platform for businesses and corporations to perform Corporate Social Responsibility or CSR projects as part of their social and environmental programs. Lastly, we hope the Save Our Waterfalls campaign will also help ease the maintenance burdens of park managements and local municipalities by engaging members of the public to help in cleaning up activities while at the same time advocating the minimization of waste generation by waterfall visitors
- A campaign initiated by the Waterfall Survivors to preserve the natural heritage for future generations;
- To give back to the environment and the community via clean up and awareness programmes;
- To instill civic consciousness among Malaysians
- Tourism Malaysia
- Tourism Selangor Sdn Bhd
- Tourism, Environmental and Public Affairs of Selangor State Government
- Selangor Tourism Action Council
- Jabatan Perhutanan Negeri Selangor
- Jabatan Pertahanan Awam
- BOMBA Malaysia
- Polis Diraja Malaysia
- Majlis Daerah Tapah
- Majlish Daerah Hulu Selangor
- Majlis Perbandaran Selayang
- Founder and President => Joe Yap | Contact: +6019 6787460 email@example.com
- Vice President => Dominic Koo | Contact: +6016 3230230 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Secretary ==>; Cindy Ho | Contact: +6016 3758235 email@example.com
- Asst. Secretary == Royyie Ling | Contact: +6016 9136252 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Treasurer ==> Nicholas Tan | Contact: +6014 6303999 email@example.com
- Asst Treasurer => Ng Chooi Ping | firstname.lastname@example.org
- Adviser => Jan Stuivenberg (Waterfalls of Malaysia)
- Aaron Chai | email@example.com
- Teoh Yew Aun | firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sonny San | email@example.com
- Lim Siang Hui | firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ethan Tan | email@example.com
- Lok Man Hoong | firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sean Lim | email@example.com
- Sinbad Ooi | firstname.lastname@example.org
- Lee Yee Yee | email@example.com
- Herbert Wong | firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ian Wong | email@example.com
- Alvin Loh | firstname.lastname@example.org
- Webster Ku | email@example.com
- Mohd Nor Hazudin | firstname.lastname@example.org
- Najmi Ahmad | email@example.com
- Albert Wong | firstname.lastname@example.org