Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Unexpected Sunday...

“Can you replace me for Sg. Ampang trip tomorrow?” I received this call on a Saturday’s night out, putting me in yet another weekend plan distraction. I had earlier promised to clean up Batu Cave after the Thaipusam festive on the same Sunday. Should I go on WS trip as Joe has suffered from ankle sprain? Or should I go “kutip sampah” with the hope of maybe meeting the famous Daphne Iking who support this initiative? For a good friend or for a glamorous femme?
From the time I wrote this post, you probably have guessed. We at times put our own interest aside for someone else, whether the person is a family, friend, colleague, classmate, or lover.
Another friend (Dominic) texted me early morning, offering to buy me breakfast – it reads “dim sum or pau or lo mai kai”. So before 7am, he picked me up from my place and headed to Zoo Negara, the meet-up point. I was surprised to see two unexpected friends (Muntip and Elean) in the car, and I just know this trip is going to be better than expected. All counted 18 for Sg. Ampang Waterfalls… plus one (William) who got mix-up with the meet-up point.
We drove thru the right lane of Zoo Negara, passing a Malay-populated village, and all the way until we reached the stop-gate of UMNO building. There was some delay in parking our cars and ahem… some daylight robbing (just what I felt perhaps of the entrance fees). With the briefing, headcount and all, we made a move into the forest. The trail is cleared and slightly wet from last night rain. It is inevitable that the forest is habituated by thick greens. Sadly just a distance away, we could spot a new development of housing residential with massive clearing and scaling of hills, and one just couldn’t help but ponder over why didn’t “they” learned anything from all the recent landslide incidents.
There are signs of wheel treks and some minor structures and signage along the trails. Being an avid amateur myself it was great to meet someone sharing the same sentiments in photographing. Of course he has 4-5 years experience under his belt. It is always nice to go on trips with people of the same interest. The “tough gungho” type, the “cheong-hei” type, the “Dunhill-Malboro” type, the “wah-at-everything” type, the “eeks-at-anything” type, the “tree-hugger” type, and finally the “foto-kaki” type.
Many times we go on a trip because we know our ‘type” will be going. And proudly I can say this WS has every type on most trips! And 1Malaysia partisan and non-Bumi who can use the word “Allah” as God, talk about representation!
Though the plants sprouting are not exactly exotic, they are eye-catching nonetheless. I spotted stripes, dots, hairy, gigantic and varied colors, but what really pulled my attention is a lonesome tall tree at a junction, that reminds me of Avatar the movie, as it is spotted with background of cleared forest and a striking blue sky with soft white clouds. Of a sudden I had an urge to hug the tree for being so sturdy and brave in the midst of uncertainty. Proud to be standing still, though alone and beautiful without any leaves – we should learn from this great figure to stand for our beliefs and opinions even under threatened by greater power, as in today’s Malaysia we lack active participation in our life, many of us merely lives the life other fought or not for us. “What do you hope for this country?”
Am I trekking on hot ground with this post? What better way to cool off my feet than some river trekking, and that’s what we did along the trail. Slippery stones, rickety rocks and knee-high rivers posed some challenge and imagination for the guys to assist the girls. On many occasions, I had to force myself not to “deliberately” fall into mini pools, as it was too tempting with the like of private bath with a masseur! This is a splendid place for couples to have quality time in nature without the long-distance driving or trekking.
Elean made her debut fall at Lata Sham. And fortunate enough that this paparazzi wasn’t anywhere near her, I only managed to snap a picture of her after she regained herself on the rocks. I was glad there was no major damage, just a bump, as I a First Aider wasn’t sure what I can do – bandage her behinds or apply some ointment? I’m sure massage that area is definitely not in the book!

I pulled out my tripod and positioned it for a slow-shutter picture of the waterfalls. I’ve always wanted to recreate a glacier-like waterfall, and what better place than Lata Sham – spacious and varied in structures. This is also where they spotted a 4-inch…
Long…
Big…
Thick…
Erecting…
Full-blood…
Active…

…water leech. What else were you thinking?
The trail further led us to Lata Pisang – a place to be for full-body treatment, with the cooling water flowing from high above and a conclave big enough for one person to chill out. Even if you decide to opt out on this, you can be like me – just resting on a shallow slate with running water, having a bite of lunch or snack and continuing the conversations with other likeminded. Not bad indeed for a last-minute weekend choice. The trekking took a little more than 3 hours (return journey), and we exited via another trail – a dry hilly one.

As usual, WS’s activity does not end at the waterfalls – food is a familiar affair, though optional. We had chicken rice ala melayu at Taman Melawati which costs RM3.50 a plate, and a pleasing aftertaste. So what is my plan next weekend? Unpredictably exciting one is all that I am certain of!
Waterfalls are beautiful but extremely DANGEROUS. Only attempt with experience guides.

Take Nothing but Photographs, Leave Nothing but Footprints